Latest news has indicated that the Google mobile first index will be rolled out in a manner of months, rather than in a few weeks’ time.
As Google’s Gary Illyes told Search Engine Land’s SMX West conference last Wednesday, “the team behind the mobile-first index wants it to launch this year. We’re still experimenting. We don’t have a timeline. It could be a few months or quarters, but it’s definitely not weeks [away]. Don’t freak out, especially if you have a responsive site.”
As this latest development will give webmasters and companies extra time to ensure they’re prepared for the change, here are our top tips to make sure you’re ready:
- If your site already has a responsive design you won’t have to do or change too much. If not, you will need to verify the mobile version of your site in search console.
- Run the txt testing tool to make sure the mobile version of your site is accessible to Googlebot- this will be key for indexing.
- Click here to run a mobile friendly test for your site.
- Running a mobile speed test will also be useful. Due to varying WiFi, and the strength of 4G/3G networks, it’s important your site loads quickly.
- Ensure structured mark-up is present for both. As they may differ somewhat, be prepared to make any changes. Some mark-up is irrelevant for mobile; remove these to reduce bloat.
- Make sure your mobile site has the content you want to rank for.
- Make sure rel-annotations are on your mobile site.
Liked this article? get up to date with the rest of this week's Tech Treats below:
- UK government calls for WhatsApp backdoor access following London attack
- Google apologises over ads appearing next to extremist content, while several more UK and US brands pull their ads from the platform
- Facebook releases new ‘Collection’ shopping ad format
Are there any topics you’d like covered in the future? Send us a message on social media or drop us an email to let us know!
Want more news? Sign-up for our newsletter and you'll always be kept in the loop!
Get weekly Tech Treats updates. Sign-up by filling in the form below.